The Richard Jefferies Society and the White Horse Book Shop Literary Prize is awarded annually to the author of the publication considered by the judging panel to be the most outstanding nature writing published in a given calendar year. The winning work must reflect the heritage and spirit of Richard Jefferies’ countryside books.
· Orchard. A Year in England’s Eden by Benedict Macdonald and Nicholas Gates. [Collins]
· Diary of a Young Naturalist by Dara McAnulty. [Little Toller]
· The Consolation of Nature: Spring in the Time of Coronavirus by Michael McCarthy, Jeremy Mynott and Peter Marren. [Hodder]
· The Swallow: A Biography by Stephen Moss. [Square Peg]
· Entangled Life by Merlin Sheldrake. [Bodley Head]
· The Gospel of the Eels: A Father, a Son and the World’s Most Enigmatic Fish by Patrik Svensson. [Picador]
The judging panel will meet in May to agree the overall winner of the £1000 prize. The winner will be announced on 24 May 2021.